Objective: To teach preschoolers the importance of humility and to be humble like Jesus.
Bible Passage: Philippians 2:1-11
Don’t miss the full Sunday School Lesson on Philippians 2:1-11, the related children’s sermon object lesson, and the preschool Bible lesson on humility.
Title: Being Humble Like Jesus
- Pictures of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet
- A large paper heart
- Crayons or markers
Introduction: Begin by gathering the children in a circle and asking them if they know what it means to be humble. Explain that being humble means to be kind, gentle, and not thinking that we are better than others. Tell them that today, we will learn about how Jesus showed us the perfect example of being humble.
Bible Lesson for Children Age 2-5 years Old
- Read Philippians 2:1-11 to the children. Explain that in this passage, Paul is teaching us to be like Jesus, who was humble and kind to everyone.
- Tell the children the story of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet (John 13:1-17). Show them the pictures as you tell the story. Explain that back in Jesus’ time, washing someone’s feet was a job for servants. But Jesus, the Son of God, chose to do this humble task to show His love and teach us to be humble like Him.
- Ask the children for examples of ways they can be humble like Jesus. Encourage them to think of ways they can be kind and helpful to others. Some examples might include sharing their toys, helping their friends, or listening to their parents.
- Give each child a crayon or marker and have them draw or write something they can do to be humble like Jesus on the large paper heart. This can be a simple drawing or just their name with the help of an adult.
- Once everyone has had a turn, display the heart in the classroom or at home to remind the children to be humble like Jesus.
Closing: Gather the children in a circle again and pray together. Thank God for the example of Jesus and ask for His help in being humble like Him. Encourage the children to practice humility in their everyday lives and to remember the lesson they learned today.
Preschool Bible Activity Suggestions:
- Act out the story of Jesus washing His disciples’ feet with the children.
- Sing a song about being humble or following Jesus’ example, such as “Jesus Loves Me” or “This Little Light of Mine.”
- Create a simple craft related to humility, like a paper plate with a smiley face or a construction paper crown with the words “Humble Like Jesus” written on it.