Psalm 46 is a beautiful promise from God that He is our refuge and strength, and wants to help us and be present in all things. God also wants us to be still and rest in Him, recognizing that He is powerful in our lives and desires to help us. These crafts remind students that we can have peace in knowing that He is God. Despite challenges or the busy demands of life, we can take time for Him. A “stormy shaker” provides a visual of how things can get shaken up and settle with God’s help. A “peaceful plate door hanger” reminds us to pause and give time to the Lord. Get busy…and then be still!
- Don’t miss our complete Psalm 46 Sunday School lesson for kids church.
- See the related Bible object lessons from Sunday School Works
Sunday School Craft one: “Stormy Shaker”
You will need:
- Crayons or markers
- Water bottles
- Glue or tape (optional)
- Paper (Construction/cardstock)
- Oil (optional)
- Additional decorations (stickers, glitter, etc.)
- Decorate water bottle with stickers or tape. Remove outer label.
- Add verses and captions to a separate paper or cardstock, remembering to be still and calm the “storms” of life with God’s presence.
- Fill the water bottle about halfway, adding a bit of oil or colored dye, if desired.
- Add extra items to the water bottle, such as pom-poms, glitter, sequins, or other elements that would bring a “stormy” appearance.
- Attach the label to the bottle. Enjoy shaking it up to watch the items swirl and settle!
Sunday School Craft Two: “Be Still Door Hanger”
You will need:
- Construction Paper or cardstock
- Glue or tape
- Decorative elements as desired
- Markers or crayons
- Paper plate
- Pipe cleaner or string
1. Trace a peace sign in the paper plate.
2. Carefully cut the triangular elements out of the plate so that the peace sign stands out.
3. Decorate the plate with verses, captions, and reminders to be still.
4. Add extra stickers and decorations as desired.
5. Attach a string, pipe cleaner, or magnet. Use the peace plate as a door hanger or refrigerator magnet to recall the importance of being at peace and still in the Lord.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Psalm 46)
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble. -Psalm 46:1
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress. -Psalm 46:7
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress -Psalm 46:10-11
God is our refuge and strength!
Be still! Know that HE is GOD!