Do Unto Others… Craft Ideas for The Golden Rule. The laws of Christlike love often defy what we might expect. Jesus calls us to love not only those who return kindness, but also people who might not be too friendly with us. However, we know that we are to treat others as we would hope they treat us. It’s important to remind children of this “golden rule”, as it has come to be known. We can communicate to kids how to love others and treat them well. These two crafts serve as decorative reminders of those principles. A “love others wreath” considers people to think of and pray for, friends as well as tougher individuals. A “Golden ruler” is a glittering ornament that recounts how valuable that principle is.
More Lesson Ideas on the Golden Rule “Do Unto Others”
- Watch the video demonstration of this children’s sermon lesson and Sunday School craft ideas
- Compare our full Luke 6:27-38 Sunday School Lesson on Loving Your Enemies
- Compare another Kids Bible lesson on the Golden Rule
- Don’t miss our Bible Trivia Questions & Answers for children
- Kids 4 Kindness is a 4-part Sunday School lesson curriculum that shows children what it means to be kind and live out the golden rule in real life.
- Learn more about the Golden Rule for Christians on MinistryAnswers.com
- See our children’s sermon Bible Object lesson on the Golden Rule
Craft one: “Love Others Wreath”
You will need:
- Construction paper
- Paper Plates
- Markers or decorating materials
- Glue or tape
- Pictures of villains and heroes (optional)
- Cut out several hearts from paper, in varying sizes and colors.
- On the hearts, write names of people who need prayer, both friends and people who are harder to love.
- Decorate the plate with verses and captions, highlighting the “heroes/friends” on one side and the “villains/enemies” on the other side. Place pictures if desired.
- Glue the hearts onto the corresponding sides of the plate “wreath.” If desired, attach a hanger to display the “love wreath.”
Craft Two: “Golden Ruler”
You will need:
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Glue and/or tape
- Decorative materials (markers, crayons, stickers)
- String, pipe cleaner, etc. (optional)
- Ruler or stick
- Glitter (optional)
1. Decorate the ruler or stick, indicating it as “the golden rule” (or ruler).
2. Add decorations such as stickers and sequins.
3. Attach verses or captions to the ruler.
4. Add glitter to make the “golden ruler” sparkly and shiny. Display in a prominent place to remember the important “rule of gold” that Jesus taught!
Bible Verses or Sunday School Craft Captions to Consider…
(Main Text: Luke 6:27-38)
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. -Luke 6:31
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. -Luke 6:35-36
The Golden Rule… Do Unto Others!
Jesus calls me to love…not just those who love me!
Love enemies as well as friends!
Do to others as you want them to do to you!
Bible Verses/story to Reference:
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. 32 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. 37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” –Luke 6:27-38 ESV