What does it mean for us that Jesus has power and authority? In the Bible, we see miracles of healing and cleansing. In our lives, we know that Jesus can keep us spiritually “clean”, and that we can listen to and rely on Him for all things. No matter what challenges come our way, God wins! These crafts celebrate the element of being “clean”, as well as the promise of victory in Christ. A goodie bag includes cleaning supplies, cozy comfort elements, and a bookmark. This can be kept or given away as a gift. A trophy decoration provides a shiny reminder that God wins!
Bible Verses or Captions to Consider…
And they were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as the scribes. -Mark 1:22
And they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? A new teaching with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.” -Mark 1:27
The True Champion…Jesus wins!
Clean on the Outside…Cleansed on the Inside!
God’s word cleans my spirit.
God’s love comforts!
More Teaching Ideas
- Watch our video demonstration of this children’s sermon on YouTube
- Watch the demonstration of these craft ideas and Sunday School lesson on Mark 1:21-28
- Compare our preschool lesson on the Authority of Jesus
- Compare the lesson on this passage from rfour.org
Craft one: “Clean inside and out” bags
You will need:
- Cleaning products (wipes, sanitizer, paper towels, tissues, soap, etc.)
- Paper or cardstock
- String or pipe cleaners (optional)
- Socks and cotton (optional)
- Crayons or markers
- Stickers or other decorations
- Decide which elements you would like to place into your “cleaning bag.” Suggestions include hand sanitizer, wipes, paper towels, tissues, soap, etc.
- Decorate a label that explains which cleaning elements are inside and who the bag is for.
- Make comforting “inner cleansing” items. These might include pom pom creatures, sock pillows (stuff cotton inside a sock and decorate), or card stock bookmarks. Decorate and embellish these elements as desired.
- Add extra decorations to the bag, using a gallon-size Ziplock or a large paper bag. Choose someone to give it to, or keep it handy for personal use.
Craft Two: “Jesus Wins” Trophy
You will need:
- Paper (wrapping or cardstock)
- Markers or crayons
- Stickers, glitter, or other decorations
- Two cups (Styrofoam or paper)
- Tape or glue
- Aluminum foil
Procedure (use one of these ideas or adapt and do others):
1. Place two cups on top of each other, with the bottoms of the cups together. Tape the sides to secure the cups together.
2. Cover the stacked cups with aluminum foil, wrapping and taping to completely surround.
3. Add “handles” to the sides with twisted foil or pipe cleaner, taping to secure.
4. Add a verse or caption to acknowledge that this is a “trophy”.
5. Add extra decorations such as stickers, glitter, or other elements. Display as a decorative reminder that Jesus wins the victory!