This is a preschool lesson to be taught in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. It would be perfect for your Preschool Sunday School lesson or other ministry setting. Parents could also use this lesson plan at home. The children will learn about the symbol and meaning of the cornucopia. They will reflect upon what God has blessed them with in abundance.
This lesson should be followed up the next week with a lesson about how we should give thanks in all circumstances as the Christian life will not always seem blessed with abundance. As this lesson is written for preschoolers, it has been kept simple focusing on one aspect of the Christian life.
Text: John 10:10
Learning Objective: The children will think about what God has blessed them with abundantly.
Target Age: 3 years old-Kindergarten
Time Needed: 20 minutes
Materials Needed: A picture of or a decorative cornucopia, Cornucopia worksheet, crayons, pencils.
Cornucopia: Blessed Abundance Lesson Plan
- Show the children the picture or decoration of a cornucopia. “Does anyone know what this is called?”
- “It is called a cornucopia. Now repeat that word after me, corn-u-cop-ia.” If possible, write the word cornucopia on a whiteboard for them to see.
- “Does anyone know what a cornucopia is for or what it means?”
- “We see cornucopias around the time of Thanksgiving because a cornucopia represents all the good things God has given us. Look at all the beautiful fruit in this cornucopia. It looks very good! Seeing a cornucopia around Thanksgiving time helps us to remember to thank God for all the good food He will give us on our Thanksgiving table.”
- “But, God doesn’t just give us food. I am going to read to you a verse from the Bible. It is John 10:10.”
- Read aloud the Bible verse.
- “This verse says, ‘I came that they may have life…’. Who is the ‘I’ in this verse?”
- “Jesus is the person speaking in this verse and He says He will give us life. But not just any kind of life, He will give us life abundantly.”
- “Abundantly is a big word. Repeat it after me, a-bun-dant-ly. Does anyone know what it means?”
- “Abundantly means ‘a lot, plenty, or a big amount’. So Jesus came to give us a good life. A life full of good things.”
- “When we become a Christian and follow Jesus, He gives us a life full of joy, good things to do and good friends.”
- “The cornucopia at Thanksgiving reminds us of the abundant life God has given to us when we turn away from our sins, believe in Jesus, and live for Him.”
- “What are some good things God has given you in your life?” Take some suggestions from the children.
- “You will now each get your own cornucopia. Right now it is empty, but you are going to fill it with what God has given you in your abundant life. You will draw inside your cornucopia the good things God has given to you.”
- Pass out the cornucopia worksheet and crayons. The children will then draw things they are thankful for in their life.
More Thanksgiving Materials: You can download our Thanksgiving Coloring Pages or check out another Preschool Bible lesson for Thanksgiving.