The season of Advent is a time of joyful anticipation and hope. How do we celebrate what Jesus has done, and what He has yet to do? These crafts encourage children to serve God and to wait, hope, and pray as we rejoice in His birth and await His Second coming. A “Look to the Clouds” mobile hanger serves as a decoration and reminder to wait for Christ. A “Serving Acts Stocking” uses a traditional Christmas decoration to consider how we can wait in hope and service.
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Luke 21:25-36)
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. -Luke 21:33
WAIT for Jesus….He is worth it!
Advent is a season of waiting!
Watch and wait…Jesus is coming!
More Teaching Ideas:
- Watch a video demonstration of this children’s lesson and related Bible craft ideas
- Compare our full Luke 21:25-36 Sunday School Lesson
- Browse all our free Christmas Sunday School Lessons for kids
Craft one: “Advent Anticipation Mobile”
You will need:
- Stickers or decorations
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock, or crown shape
- Glue or tape
- String, ribbon, or yarn
- Clothes hanger (wire or plastic)
- Cut several shapes from paper or card stock. These could be in the shape of clouds or stars, or just simple rectangles or circles.
- Decorate the papers with words indicating what to do while waiting for Jesus, or ways to celebrate the season of Advent.
- Add stickers, jewels, or additional decorative elements. Add extra shapes if desired.
- Attach each card stock caption to the clothes hanger with ribbon or string.
- Hang the mobile and admire the decorative Advent notes!
Craft Two: “Wait for Jesus Stocking”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, etc.)
- Cotton (balls or stuffing)
- Pipe cleaner or string
- Tape or glue
1. Cut out two pieces of paper or card stock, in the shape of a stocking.
2. Decorate the stocking with verses and captions.
3. Add cotton, stickers, or additional decorations as desired.
4. Staple (or “sew” with yarn) the two pieces together to form a “stocking”.
5. Write on strips of paper methods of serving Jesus and providing “gifts” to God.
6. Tuck the papers into the stocking. Attach a pipe cleaner or string to hang, if desired.